Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pick a color and get started

A long time before iMix playlists I made theme cassette tapes from my vinyl. What a wonderful way to study the art of songwriting. Now with iTunes you can actually share it with the world forever... Here's a list a songs with a color in the name..

Crayola Doesn't Make a Color for Your Eyes..Kristin Andreassen
Another Kind of Blue...Slaid Cleaves
Blue River...Samantha Farrell
Baby Blue...Rachel Pearl
Erin's Green Shore...Mick Moloney
Red Staggerwing...Mark Knopfler And Emmylou Harris
Catnipping Green (parody Fiddler's Green)...MARC GUNN & THE DUBLINERS
Black Is the Color (of My Cat's Fur)...MARC GUNN & THE DUBLINERS
Red Rocking Chair...Leela and Ellie Grace
Flying Red Horse...John Gorka
White Cross...Jeff Talmadge
Brown Jacket..Heather Waters
Shades of Gray,,,Cry Cry Cry
Rose for a Blue Jay...Chris Elliott
Green Into Gold...Chris Elliott

What a wonderful mix of songs and styles... pick an artist, go find them in iTunes and check for this iMix. Vote it a FIVE stars because I love all these musicians.

Ok back to subject. We humans relate colors so instantly with emotions, RED & GREEN combined are Christmassy, Red Dress is already hot, BLUE suit, GRAY sky... you get the picture. These are powerful deep images in our physche don't forget to use them. My absolute favorite color song is Multi-Colored Lady by Greg Allman. I don't even have to tell you the story to know this lady is happy, sad, and most times mixed up. Isn't that so many people we know? and it was told in two words.

Here's a piece I wrote for Hope Waits after she lamented somewhat of the decision to live in LA. She put out the 2008 Zemmy CD of the Year there but she longer for her home in Louisianna, and ultimately has moved to Nashville. Most of the rest of the song is fictional and it needs a little work... but I like the chorus.

Lady in Blue by Dave Schipper © 2007 Rose Riversongs


A thought fixed in a venom moment
Surrounded by a harried world.
She sits alone with a personal torment.
A bottle of Jack numbs the senses
Maybe she’ll go dress up with pearls
Hit the bars and take some chances.

The lady in blue has a life to choose.
The lady in blue stuck in Hollywood.
The lady in blue turns to look away
The lady in blue will find the way.

Her tall and slender frame turns heads
She’s learned to ignore them easily
But with this she’s added a hard edge.
An armor of cold disdain for true love
Can crush those who approach weakly
Leaving her left with just the tough.

A trickle of hope is never really gone
She was raised in family of eternal joy
But left it behind to write her song
The lady will bump into life in the dark
Will she choose to notice or be coy?
Here’s a wish the ending is not stark

3 comments:

Ydiana said...

Hi Dave

Those days, when I was small,there were some colour desriptions in a song that I can still remember.

Blue - friendly
Red - bravery
Green - jelousy
Yellow - pure
Others - can't remember

But over the years, the descriptions have changed, eg. green is fresh,
blue monday,
fiery red (maybe still applicable) zesty yellow,
romantic purple

But then again, I supposed it also depends on the diffrent shades of the colour, eg

fresh green
mouldy green
bright green
sober green

Hahaha....!

Ydiana said...

And I forgot to add...

"Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!"

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi David!

(You know it's family when it comes addressed that way!)

I am going to look up the Allman song you referenced to see if it's about me. A lady stopped me on the street the other day and told me I looked beautiful in my colorful jacket with my colorful tote bag, from Magnolia's, mind you!

I will visit your site again!