Monday, January 12, 2009

Find inspiration everywhere

Ok easier said than done? Many times I find myself out of the habit of writing to write. If you aren't writing, don't expect to have inspiration. It's kind of stupid but I find it's rare that inspiration slaps me or wakes me up to write something. Oh yes that has happened, but most of my writing, and many other songwriters that I've listened to, have said inspiration comes from connecting the dots that are already in your head. So sit down, relax and just write. If nothing good comes from it, stop, save, and do it again later.

I need to get back to my lunch haunt for writing which is the local Taco John. I can take my lap top after eating a meal spiced with their Super Green Hot sauce and let the brain juices flow. I wrote "Grace" there and I wrote "Drift Away" there among countless other piece, fragments and poems. Now "Drift Away" made it on the cd partly because I loved how the music came around, but the dots to connect.

It was about the time Lori was day care mom for Rob and Sonya's boys. Great people, great boys. Somewhere along the line I must have asked Sonya about how two Phy Ed teachers get together. Well the story is sketchy in my mind now but back then it was clear, they knew each other but it was for friends that pushed them together. Well that in my head and watching two parents fret over their children at the Taco Johns, and a song was born.

Of course all songs should touch every one on a part of their own life... don't you remember all those things too?

Again... my pet peeve... the story progresses through the song, and think it's truly only three short verses long.

Ok now I've gone and made myself hungry..... til next time.

Dave

Drift Away by Dave Schipper © 2006 Rose Riversongs


White roses and a glass of zin
Take me back to where we began
A small café with a deck outdoor
With so many laughs to explore

Don’t you find it easier to drift away?
Let your mind replay a perfect day.
Would the same words be in play?
Free yourself and just drift away


Friends behind the scene wrote the plot
A chance meeting we would think not
We Both remember when we first met
It took two years to get the date set


Today the café is Taco Johns
A quick lunch with our little ones.
A few words within wild foray
And maybe a dream to drift away

2 comments:

Kim Lahaie Day said...

I love it, David! Possibly have shared this with you before but it's worth repeating (as though you could stop me!): at The Writer's Crew, our leader would tell us over and again to "write what you know", which is exactly what you did. A good mix of what you knew, add some "seasoning" and ta da!!!

Not too sure I'd like the green sauce, though................

Hugs,

Kim

Linda said...

Just checking out your blogs - very interesting. You're a talented song-writer.