Saturday, January 31, 2009

Songs with Names

Michelle, my Belle.... Suite Judy Blue Eyes... Daniel...Sarah.....Penny Lane?.... Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...

All songs written with the actual name of the person. Now if songs are suppose to have universal appeal, why do these all work.

I'm going to listen to this iMix a bunch times to make sure, but I believe it's because they tell a story. I welcome you to try the same thing. Go thru your songs, and pick all the titles that reference a name... and listen to their stories.




Ok I'm back and if you can learn anything from studying good songs, let's look at the songs I picked:

Angela: I believe this is a deep friendship between two women. I don't read lesbian into every song sung by a woman to another one... who knows... but the passion is deep, I also love Angela after this song and wish to see her bright blue eyes.

Julia... boy I wrote a whole blog about this adopted niece who is actually named Angela. It's written in the personal 1st person.

Mary... sung in a 3rd person... great story about a person growing out of her small Christian town.

Song for June... yes... a song for June Carter Cash... if I could die and be reborn as Slaid Cleaves I know that I would be in heaven. It's written 1st person but feels like it isn't.

Sweet Louise... yes it's another 1st person but this guy is from the poorer or rough side of town.

Belle Star... Ok I knew by looking at the song that this one wasn't about Belle, there is another great one written in saga form by the greatest one Woody Guthrie... this one uses Belle Star as a comparison to a duet by Emmy and Marc... what a wonderful song.

Amelia... this is a first person song.. ."My name is Amelia..."... I'm not sure if Lucy wrote this or not, but wow, it's a story that hasn't died in over the 40 listens that I've given it. She's old, she tells her past, and her love for a young woman who has the spunk she grew up with... This is a crafted song... one that all aspiring song writers should aspire to.

Lovely Jamie... traditional ballad done is first person ... Lissa's voice is haunting in the song. She posted a video of this song mainly in the shadows. I'd love her to sing it to me, just that way.

Young Charlotte... A narrative about love affair.. Again this is from traditional poetry... I could see all in the horse buggies, horses farting all the way.. sorry I couldn't help myself.

Rachel's Song.. .a narrative about a runaway girl.

Julie... narrative about a woman needing to be free but working within society and her fit.

Ignatius.. I thought this was about a person but I'm not sure exactly sure what it's about beside love and separation. Hope can sing me a love through a song anytime she wants.

Diane... this one is funny because Heather told a story at a house concert that part of the song is about how a real Diane abandoned her in South Boston for some reason (lover/argument) so she wrote a song about her, and killed her off.

Liza Jane... Oh Liza... you were my toughest love... great song that sounds traditional.

Sweat pea... no name.. just a nice lover knicknamed Sweet Pea.

Natasha ... Like the Angela above women love women without all the baggage.

Barefoot Mary... great idea... use another name as a comparison to draw the feeling that others can relate to .. "I'll be your barefoot Mary"... Allison job well done.

5 comments:

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Because all the world is a stage, and we can assume the character!

Love,

Kim

Ydiana said...

Hmmmm...when will someone write a song of my name....! ;)

Dave Schipper said...

Kim, I love the idea of assuming the character... I can do that...

Ydiana.. I'd try but I don't know how to pronounce it?

Dave

Linda said...

And don't forget Clapton's, Slow Down Linda. It's been appropriate at times in my life. :-)

~Linda

Ydiana said...

Hee hee...

Ydiana = Eedeeana.

:)