Sunday, January 4, 2009

Paraphrase a song you like

I think I got this assignment or idea from the Pierce Pettis workshop or handout. Either way, it works like this. Take a song you like... lay out the word and line for line (at least at the beginning) paraphrase what is being said in a different way.

One of the things you'll learn is how a successful song is written, and you'll off course sharpen your storytelling skills.

Here is one that I did that you'll recognize the song... or maybe not?

Sugary Love by Dave Schipper © 2005 Rose Riversongs

I lost track of you sometime during the storm
lost in the crowd, probably headed back to the dorm
Wasn’t just the tunes I heard, repeating the same few words
A petite eighteen and giggling though the night
The twinkle in your eyes yeah your outta site
You wear momma tight blue jeans, man your eyes are green

Chorus
You’re my sugary love, a spice from above
You’re an angel a queen, you know just what I mean
You got me so mixed up, You know I am in love (2x)

We’re a trouble to them all, when we walk down the street
Strange looks and stares, from the people we meet
It was the tunes we heard, repeating the same few words
Grizzly hands and soft ones meet’n stand out in a crowd
When the self righteous speak, we turn down the sound
We just young and old, singing Elvis pure and gold
(This line can substitude Elvis for Beatles, Eagles, Green Day could do it 4x?)


Of course after I got started the story changed, and that's the beauty behind the exercise.... didn't recognize the song?

Hey, where did we go
Days when the rains came ?
Down in the hollow
Playing a new game,
Laughing and a-running, hey, hey,
Skipping and a-jumping
In the misty morning fog with
Our, our hearts a-thumping
And you, my brown-eyed girl,

You, my brown-eyed girl.
Whatever happened
To tuesday and so slow
Going down to the old mine with a
Transistor radio.
Standing in the sunlight laughing
Hide behind a rainbows wall,
Slipping and a-sliding
All along the waterfall
With you, my brown-eyed girl,
You, my brown-eyed girl.

Do you remember when we used to sing
Sha la la la la la la la la la la dee dah
Just like that
Sha la la la la la la la la la la dee dah
La dee dah.

So hard to find my way
Now that Im all on my own.
I saw you just the other day,
My, how you have grown!
Cast my memory back there, lord,
Sometime Im overcome thinking about
Making love in the green grass
Behind the stadium
With you, my brown-eyed girl,
You, my brown-eyed girl.

Do you remember when we used to sing
Sha la la la la la la la la la la dee dah
Laying in the green grass
Sha la la la la la la la la la la dee dah
Dee dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee
Sha la la la la la la la la la la la la
Dee dah la dee dah la dee dah la
D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d...

3 comments:

lovingdeparture said...

Cool exercise! I never would have thought to do that. Although I did read (or partially read) a book on hypnotic writing. That itself has nothing to do with songwriting, but one of the exercises was to write out over and over your favorite hypnotic text. Never thought it would apply to songwriting, but they seem like they're very similar exercises.

Nora said...

I am going back and forth on the lyrics blog...these only come at me in spurts, not really a consistent thing...keep you eyes open, I guess.

And I can not get enough of flowering spade.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Oh, that is so funny! You did it! One time our design team was sitting around the drafting table looking over plans on the board. Wise Rick made the profound comment: there are only so many ways you draw a living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens and bedrooms!" Isn't that the same truth about song writing? Or blog writing?

Hugs,

Kim

p.s. You just go ahead and write that novel, don't worry about not being a big reader!